Jobs and industry

Tourism is taking off thanks to a lot of hard work in that sector. We need to work on attracting industry and secondary manufacturing to the community too.

It takes work

Just like tourism, industry won't grow on its own.  Valemount is not the first place manufacturers think of when they decide to set up shop, but the right industries could relocate and flourish here, especially as wood fibre becomes less widely available in the province.

Successes

Cedar Valley Specialty Cuts is a good example of how the village and the community forest can help set the stage for industrial expansion.  When the Valemount Community Forest expanded, it allowed Cedar Valley access to the cedar it requires to launch new products and the Valemount Industrial Park provided the space for their mill.

The community forest expansion got its start during my time as mayor. The industrial park was conceived and purchased during that time too.

Let's continue strategic investment to bring industry here.

The future

The Valemount Community Forest recently announced it was looking into developing a mill at the industrial park.  It's a fantastic idea, and for many of us, about time. The next council needs to support the community forest to help make it happen.

Comments

  1. hello Andru. I have lived in Valemount for 4 years, and i plan to stay. I am a mushroom farmer, and i am trying to find a way to create a gourmet mushroom farm here, serving mainly the restaurant sector.
    I raised and sold mushrooms here over the past summer, selling to the Caribou, the Riverside, and Airirang restaurants, and sold at the farmer's market. I have also given away samples, to raise awareness of my products. Each time, reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.
    So, i can produce amazing gourmet food products, and i can sell them, no problem.
    My problem is being able to grow in quantity. I need a growing facility larger than a broom closet (my current setup).
    I have spoken with Sylvio at the town; he advises that we wait till test drilling results are in for the proposed geothermal park. I find it difficult to be patient, when what i really want to do is grow mushrooms.
    As Mayoral candidate, what assistance can you give me in building a business that will help this village prosper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, Andru, i forgot something: Paul McManus 250 566 1567

      Delete
    2. Paul. This is really exciting, I look forward to connecting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.

Popular Posts