Running for Mayor


My name is Andru McCracken and I am running for Mayor.

My vision of Valemount is a thriving dynamic community for families, children, seniors and the amazing people who call this home. I believe that when council works with the people who live here it makes this community great.

When council is an advocate for the interests and concerns of the community, when council supports the organizations that are trying to make a difference in Valemount, when council welcomes businesses and entrepreneurs that want to build here… then our success is certain.

My vision of Valemount is a community actively advocating for new jobs and new industry here, a community that cares about and does it’s best to foster and grow our industrial base and keep the precious jobs we have here.

Who I am

I moved to Valemount in 2001 and I served as Mayor from 2011 to 2014 following the term of Mayor Bob Smith.  My term wasn’t perfect, but it was prolific. I’ve done some growing up since my first term. I’ve had four years to reflect on why the people of Valemount chose Jeannette Townsend in the 2014 election when I had worked so hard. In the intervening years I’ve tried to learn more about communication, leadership, what I was doing wrong and how to better serve my community.

In 2016 I become a father. Our family, like many families,  has a lot to lose if Valemount becomes unlivable, unsafe, unfriendly or unaffordable.  I treasure how connected, caring and safe Valemount is for my child. As a family we are deeply invested in Valemount. We are here for the long term. If Valemount prospers, so do we. And yet we worry about whether Valemount can continue to be a good place to be if our friends and staff can't afford to live here.

My wife and I recently built a home here and last year my wife’s business moved onto 5th Avenue.  I’ve enjoyed my work as editor of the newspaper in the heart of the community, in part by virtue of my job I have a good sense of the struggles in Valemount.

I am excited to bring both my new perspectives and what I learned in my first term together. Please vote for me, Andru McCracken on October 20, 2018.

Comments

  1. Testing anonymous comments. If you see this, you can leave an anonymous comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.

Popular Posts